#1 2020-09-10 20:10:34

JulianaRec

I make the knowledge organisers in PowerPoint

Search.
Equipment set up for online teaching               We evaluated over 1200 surveys to establish a whole school approach to online teaching and learning.
One of the whole school approaches to online teaching and learning was how every teacher used Google Classroom so students have a consistent user experience.

My child using Seesaw during online learning from home

My classroom set up for the return of students on Monday.
, ,.
, , , ,.
It generates a meeting link that you can use over and over.

I have this link as the top post on Google Classroom so it is easy to find for students

See  for instructions on how to create a link for recurring meetings.
, , ,.
This year I want to prototype knowledge organisers.
A knowledge organiser is an A4 template that succinctly shows the reader (student/parent/teacher) what is essential to know for a particular topic.
Knowledge organsers are not new.
I’ve seen them on UK EduTwitter for a number of years but I think they are not that widely used in Australia.
For a really good post on knowledge organisers, .

See  on how knowledge organisers are used at Michaela Community School

I make the knowledge organisers in PowerPoint.
Click on this to download the PowerPoint files and make a copy if you’d like to edit the knowledge organisers to suit your needs and the needs of your students.
, , , ,.
I have thought about escape rooms before but they seem to take a mammoth effort to create.
But I thought I’d give it a go.
I used the general guidelines from  and was inspired by her use of Super Mario as the background story (Super Mario is one of my favourite video games series).

I am using the introduction to Super Mario 3D as the background story for the escape room

If you haven’t got the time to view the video, the gist of the story is that Bowser has captured seven Sprixies (fairy-like creatures) and each time Super Mario and his pals complete a world, they rescue a Sprixie.
For my escape room, a world will be a challenge and each time students complete a challenge, they rescue a Sprixie.

I also followed  on using Google Forms to create a digital escape room

using the section and validation features in Google Forms for students to enter codes to unlock rooms.
The video for the background story for this escape room activity is embedded as YouTube video at the start of the Google Form.
Students solve seven challenges.
Each time they solve a challenge, .

They reveal a code to enter into the Google Form

The validation feature is used to check if the code they have entered is correct.
If the code is correct, .

They proceed to the next room (next Google Form section)

When students enter the correct code, they unlock a challenge and rescue on of the sprixies.
Students gain the code for each challenge by completing questions in small groups.
The images below show each challenge.
Challenge 1 was inspired by an activity in , which currently has two online escape room activities.
They are definitely worth checking out if you’re interested to see what other educational escape rooms can look like.
I used   to create some of the challenges.
All of the challenges are designed to be quite basic for this particular escape room as the purpose is to see how a group of new Year 7 students work together after knowing each other for a few days.
However, escape rooms can be used as  activities.

I am planning to use this same escape room structure for my Year 12 classes

but have sample  and past HSC exam questions in the challenges.
, , , , , ,.
, , , , , , , ,.
Catch my name – This game helps the class learn each other’s names.
Students sit in a circle and a soft object like a small bean bag is thrown to students.
The thrower says their name and throws it to another student who says their name when they catch it and throw it to the next student.
In subsequent rounds students will need to say their own name and the student’s name they throw the object to.
I found this game on , where a more detailed description of the game can be found.

Group walks – These are activities that build students’ physical awareness

While such drama games are targeted at developing actors’ awareness of each other’s physical presence on stage, it can also be beneficial for non-drama classes.
Being taught to be physically aware of each other’s presence can help students work and learn effectively in large spaces like science labs or open learning spaces.
A simple version of this game is to have students walk around in a large space slowly doing various movements like hopping and they need to make sure they don’t bump into each other.
Variations and progressions of this game can be found in this.
Count to 20 – I really like this game.
As a class, students have to start counting from 1 to 20.
Only one student can speak at a time.
Any student can start counting and any student can continue the following numbers.
However, there is no verbal coordination of who speaks first or next.
If two or more students end up saying a number then the class starts from 1 again.
See  for a detailed description of the game.
, , , ,.
Following on from a previous post, here is a student example of the  eclipse project.
Students used the photos app on  to digitally ink over a video of their experiment.
— Laura Bain (@larubain)    This term our school got hold of some Ozobots through the  initiative and I was able to test out how Ozobots can be used to enhance students’ understanding of the nitrogen cycle.
Matter cycles through ecosystems, particularly the nitrogen cycle, can be quite difficult to conceptualise.
Common activities include showing students diagrams of the nitrogen cycle, videos and getting students to physically model the cycle by pretending to be nitrogen particles themselves.
However, just like eclipses, Ozobots provide an opportunity for students to create an annotated moving model to better visualise the processes.

Watching the videos Year 9s made with the  robotics kit to model the nitrogen cycle

We used the HP laptop/tablets in the kit to film the video.
— Alice Leung (@aliceleung)                        , , , , , ,.
, , ,.
, ,.
Post to.

VWIN88

Board footer